Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Through the Stargate

Today, i would like to talk about the Stargate franchise, one of my favourite sci-fi series. Stargate is an epic story about the people of Earth who find their lives changed by a piece of, originally thought to be alien, but actually Earthly, technology. The Stargate itself is a great big metal ring with a second movable ring covered in different symbols. Each symbol represents a constellation of stars, and different combinations of these symbols create addresses to other Stargates out in the galaxy. When a correct address is entered, a wormhole is created, and people and objects can travel through the oneway path to a different planet in the galaxy. It is so much more complicated than that, but I really don't feel like writing on the function of the Stargate anymore.

Stargate SG-1 is the show that started it all (if you don't count the movie... which I don't). It centers around the titular team, SG-1, which is part of Stargate Command, a secret division of the US Military. The team originally consists of Colonel Jack O'Neill, Captain Samantha Carter, Dr. Daniel Jackson, and an alien named Teal'c. The team roster changes later in the series, but to be honest, I haven't actually seen the whole series.

I originally started watching it with my Mom way back when the show first began airing. That was probabably 12-13 years ago? I'm not sure. It was one of those shows that we watched together, but at that point I was more interested in cartoons, so when Mom lost interest, so did I.

I have just recently begun watching the series again after having been re-hooked by the show's two spinoffs, Atlantis and Universe. So far I have picked up the first 4 seasons on DVD, and I'm nearly through with season 4. I think my favourite part of the show is The discovery process, as they learn new things about the gate and the Goa'uld and all that fun stuff. And the different alien races they meet along the way are all really interesting. The Asgard, the Replicators. The Nox.

Now, the real point of this whole post is that I am sad. I am sad because, once again, Stargate has been cancelled. This time, it is Stargate Universe that was cancelled after it's second season. The show was planned out for five, I think, but now we won't get to see what was supposed to happen with this group of characters. Between the three shows, there are 17 seasons of Stargate, and I'm just not satisfied apparently.

I think there is a campaign somewhere online to save Stargate. I should find the link and post it here. Perhaps there is a chance to save the show. So if you are a fan, or I've at least piqued your interest, look into it and consider using one or more of the methods mentioned on the following website to save the show! Thanks for reading!

http://www.savestargateuniverse.org/

Edit: I found the website I was originally looking for, which has been tweeted by one of the stars of the show. http://www.facebook.com/SGUnite

No comments:

Post a Comment