Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It Begins...

So! The San Diego Comic-Con 2012 adventure has begun! And thus begins my attempt to blog the whole thing. Here goes!

I guess I will start with Monday. Monday wasn't actually all that exciting. It involved a short work day, a quick flight to Vancouver, a long wait for luggage, some Game of Thrones, "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All," some very awesome hosts letting us stay the night, and of course, the long awaited reunion with the wonderful Andrea!

Tuesday was a very early start. 5am early. Yeah. Ridonk. We got up, got ready, and hit transit for 6am. I didn't realize how much is involved in international travel. Last year we took a shuttle over the border and it seemed a lot less complicated. This year we took a direct flight out of Vancouver, and we got to practice our queuing quite a bit. Baggage drop, security, customs, all in a row. But it was all pretty easy to go through. And one three-hour flight later, we were in beautiful San Diego!

So, we made it to our hotel really early. I guess check-in time is 4pm. We were here at noon. So we stored our luggage and took off on an adventure to find the mall nearby. And as luck would have it, the one and only Nike store in San Diego just happened to be in said mall. If you've been reading lately, you know I've been getting more and more into fitness. The other day I realized that I need new running shoes, and I found the ones I wanted, but they were only available in the States. Well, luck shone down on me haha. I found the shoes I want (Nike LunarGlide+), plus I got the Nike+ FuelBand I wanted (which is only available in Nike Stores in the States). So my first big purchase of the trip was something athletic and not geeky. I think I might be failing at this nerd trip thing.

Or not. After a little more shopping and some food, we stopped in at a Lego store! I've never been to one so it was pretty exciting stuff for me. I wanted to leave with the whole store, but I resisted buying anything. And then we went to see Amazing Spider-Man! It was such a good movie. Andrew Garfield makes a much better Peter Parker/Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire ever did. Admittedly, the movie seems a little slow getting into things 'cause it has to reestablish the whole origin story, but I still really enjoyed it.

After that it was a pretty uneventful evening. We got back to our hotel, checked into our room, and just relaxed for a while. Went for dinner at the little burger place attached to our hotel, and then went for a walk down the road a bit before heading back and crashing in our room again. So the boring part of the trip is over. We've got some time to waste this morning, but this afternoon we'll go pick up our badges for Comic Con and we get to do the Preview Night thing, so that should be fun. I'll continue my SDCC 2012 blogging experience tonight! Or maybe tomorrow morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment