Tuesday, July 22, 2014

SDCC 2014 - Travel Day

Hello from San Diego! That's right: it's Comic-Con time again! So I'm ACTUALLY going to make an effort to keep my blog up for this! But don't get too excited. Today was just the "travel day" so it's not nearly as exciting as the rest of the trip will be (and hopefully I will keep up with this so you'll know the excitement, too).

I'm actually going to start with yesterday. I decided to take the full week off work, meaning I had a whole extra day off just to prepare. It was great! I made myself a list of things I needed to do, and managed to check them all off one by one as the day went on. I even managed to remember my US cash this year so there was no late night panic running around trying to find an ATM. The plan was to go to bed early, and I was all packed early enough, but I was still awake until about midnight.

So then 5am rolled around and it was time to get up. Again, everything went well in the morning! Rob and I were on the road by 6am, traffic wasn't bad as we made our way to pick up Andrea for 6:25, and we got Rob's work stuff done and headed for the border. And while the trip itself went fine, that's when Andrea and I started to have some technical issues.

As soon as we got into the good ol' US of A, we switched our SIM cards over to use Roam Mobility, 'cause they are awesome and cheap and why wouldn't you? So Andrea's phone worked fine, but mine decided to give me trouble. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work, and when I tried to call, it was a long wait on hold, so I just left it until we made it to Seattle 'cause my battery was dying trying to deal with the issue. Once we made it to the airport, there was a crazy line for check in, and then a crazy line for security, but both went super fast, and we had the easiest time getting through security. Like, way easier than ever before. So we found a spot to sit and plug in my phone, and I called Roam, and after about five minutes on hold, the guy saw that my plan hadn't started when it should have, he reset the start time for ten minutes from then, and then I waited and it worked fine! Hurrah!

But then, Andrea began to have issues with her phone, too. But worse. The power button on the top of her iPhone was being all wonky making her phone refuse to sleep, and then refuse to wake up, and then try to turn itself off, and then not want to turn on, and all kinds of weirdness. But there wasn't anything we could do about it at the moment, so we decided to go to the Apple Store S soon as we got to San Diego.

The flight itself was great. We took Southwest Airlines, and it was pretty awesome, especially considering its a discount airline (our tickets were so cheap!). We made it to San Diego on time, not ten hours late like last year, and it was great! We grabbed our bags, hopped in a cab, and met our roomie for the week, Natalie, at the hotel, and got situated. Andrea thought ahead and backed up her phone to her computer, and then the three of us headed to nearby Fashion Valley Mall.

Turns out, no easy fix to Andrea's phone problem, so the guy at the Apple Store exchanged it for a new one, and actually, problem solved pretty easily. And with the backup, she's back up and running! We had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, and took our cheesecake to go, and have been chilling at the hotel ever since.

So we've had a couple of crises, but we've overcome them, and we're having a lot of fun! And I haven't even mentioned the best part! Andrea and I have teamed up to create Sigma Flight, our new joint venture in nerdiness, so follow us on twitter @sigmaflight for more updates and pictures during our Comic-Con adventures! And this post is way longer than it needed to be, but I'm just so tired that I kind of rambled on forever... Sorryyyy... I'll try to be better at this for the rest of the week. So stayed tuned for our Preview Night adventures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment